Retaining employees is never more crucial than it is during a labor crisis. Jodie Cunningham, HR Specialist with KOPPLIN KUEBLER & WALLACE, urges leaders to conduct Stay Interviews. These can easily be incorporated into one-on-one meetings. “Don’t wait until an employee leaves to figure out why,” Cunningham said. “Asking employees how they feel about their jobs provides important insight in retaining them. Stay interviews provide an opportunity to fix problems before they cause turnover.”
In addition to asking current employees what they like and dislike about their jobs, consider asking the following:
- Do you feel like you are acknowledged for your hard work?
- How do you like to be recognized?
- When was the last time you said “I love it!” about your job?
- What do you wish you had known before you took this job?
- If you had a friend coming to work here, what would you tell him/her?
- What do you want to learn this year?
- How can I help you grow?
Jodie J. Cunningham, SPHR, SHRM-SCP is a HR/Talent Strategist, Consultant and Search Executive with KOPPLIN KUEBLER & WALLACE. She can be reached via email: email@example.com.
Private Club Advisor Plus – January 2022